| Bugbrooke LINK
...the website for the village of Bugbrooke, Northamptonshire
An Introduction to Bugbrooke
Bugbrooke is situated in the Nene Valley mid way between Northampton and Daventry. It is 2 miles from Junction 16 of the M1 motorway.
We deliver the Bugbrooke LINK magazine free to all 1020 houses in Bugbrooke. The population of the villages is around 3000.
The village was well established by the time of the Doomsday Booke 1086AD, and its recorded name of Buckebroc is likely to mean "Brook of the Bucks or Bucca's Brook" after the man who gave his name to Long Buckby. The present spelling appeared about 1559. The association of the name with badgers is erroneous but has nevertheless given its name to the Rugby Club and become the emblem of the village.
Bugbrooke has always been situated near to important communication routes. Banbury Lane, south of the village is thought to have been a prehistoric track way, then a Drovers way. The A5 (Watling Street) was built by the Romans, linking Dover to Chester. The Grand Union Canal, originally called the Grand Junction Canal, arrived in 1796 on its way from London to Birmingham. The railway, now the West Coast Line, was constructed in 1832, and the MI Motorway was completed in 1959.
Heygates Mill is the headquarters of one of England's largest independant millers. The first mill on the site was established in AD800. In 1086 it was the 3rd highest rated mill in England, The packhorse "clapper" bridge dates from the 16th century when wool used to be carried over the hoarstones brook by ponies. When the stream was widened in the 1970s the last of the ancient pillars was damaged beyond repair.
St Michael and All Angels church celebrated its 700th anniversary in 1970, It was originally dedicated to the Assumption of our Lady, later to become St Mary's, and in the 19th century its present dedication was established.
The village has been and still is an important centre for non-conformist religeon. In the 17th century Quakerism was popular, and many villagers were imprisoned for their belief. The baptist chapell was built in 1808 and flourished for a entury and a half. Presently the Jesus Fellowship uses the chapel.
The church and many of the houses in the village are buit with marlstone, a form of sandstone interspersed with ironstone